Common skin changes that occur prominently during pregnancy include – pigmentation, acne, rashes, and stretch marks. These are mainly caused due to the surge of female hormones (estrogen and progesterone), skin pigments, blood vessels, glands and immune system. In this blog, we will discuss the few common pregnancy skin problems and how to treat them.
Skin Problems During Pregnancy
In pregnancy, the pigmentation colour of the nipples, genitalia skin, groin and the centre of your tummy darkens. If you already have freckles and moles, it worsens or darkens further. In addition, you will notice dark blemishes on your cheeks, forehead, nose, and chin called melasma (also known as pregnancy masks). Pregnancy blotchy spots and dark patches are common conditions. However, pregnancy hyperpigmentation usually disappears on its own after delivery. If you find it challenging to get rid of it, you can use some of the products recommended by us at the bottom of this blog. Also, consult our skin specialists for further consultation.
During pregnancy, stretch marks develop round the tummy, breast, thighs, and groin area when the skin stretches or shrinks quickly. The abrupt stretching and shrinking cause the collagen and elastin, which support our skin, to rupture. But as the skin heals, stretch marks may disappear or may become lighter and stay permanently. However, only a very minimal percentage of women do not develop prominent lines on their skin, though it is a rare case and possible only if a proper weight regime is followed during pregnancy.
We have recommended products that you can use to get rid of pregnancy stretch marks.
Acne and Blisters
Many pregnant women sweat excessively as their sweat glands become more active during pregnancy. This is prominent in the third trimester. As the oil glands become active, it is natural to develop blisters or acne.
Pregnancy Skin Rash
The skin becomes unbearably itchy during pregnancy, which is very distressing. This happens due to impaired transport of bile to the liver, and the bile keeps moving in the body.
Skin diseases like – eczema, psoriasis, acne, lupus erythematosus, and candidiasis (fungal) infection of the vagina worsens during pregnancy.
Essential Tips on Skin Care During Pregnancy
- Firstly, avoid excessive exposure to the sun. If you go out, make sure you use broad-spectrum sunscreen on your face before you step out. This will prevent the pigment from darkening.
- Use mild soap during pregnancy. Better if you can use soaps that can keep your skin moisturised. Avoid bubble baths or regular scrubbing of your skin.
- A moisturiser with sunscreen is recommended. The SPF factor or sun protection factor should be 15 to 20 minimum.
- Wear maternity panties to support your tummy. Also, apply an enriching physiological moisturiser to your abdomen. Moisturisers help to decrease the itch. Regular panties won’t support the distending skin. Maternity panties will help in reducing the splits on your skin.
- Exercise regularly to keep the abdomen muscles firm. It also reduces stress incontinence. In addition, proper physical activity helps the skin glow.
- You will sweat a lot during this time so keep your body clean. . However, avoid bathing more than once a day. Also, apply mild shampoo to your hair.
- See a doctor if you have any skin problems or bad eczema. Follow their advice for optimum relief.
- Take vitamins and calcium as directed by your doctor. Low calcium can worsen some types of psoriasis in your body.
- Antibiotic lotions, like erythromycin or clindamycin lotions, are used to treat bad acne. However, never use tretinoin (Retin-A) cream during pregnancy. It is known to cause multiple malformations in the baby.
- If you have a fungal genital infection, lower your intake of foods that contain a lot of yeast, like bread, noodles or cakes.
- Get enough sleep. Keep cosmetics to the basics like sunscreen, moisturiser, and mild cleansers. Avoid heavy makeup.
- Do not overeat. If you gain excess fat, it will be difficult to get rid of it later.
- Above all, be happy and avoid stress.
Pregnancy Skin Care Products Recommended by Dr. Beauty
Prices: AED 200.00 including tax
Melafadin Cleansing Powder from Janssen Cosmetics will help you get bright skin. It is white in colour and has a pleasant fragrance. It contains pure vitamin C for effective cleaning and brightening the skin. It is paraben-free and creates a creamy-soft foam while applying.
Price: AED 170.00 including tax
The fruit acid peeling Bio-Fruit Gel Exfoliator from Janssen cosmetics helps eliminate dead skin cells gently, thus allowing new cells to grow without obstruction.
When dead skin is removed, bumps on the skin surface are smoothened, wrinkles reduce, age and pigment spots appear lighter, making the skin’s surface appear radiant. The fruit acid peeling revives cell division and promotes skin renewal. As a result, you get softer, radiant and glowing skin. Pigmentations appear lighter, and lines fade. It cleanses blocked pores, and skin inflammation abates faster.
Price: AED 320.00 including tax
PCA Skin B3 Brightening Serum helps reduce the appearance of dark spots and uneven skin tone. It also improves skin barrier function. In addition, the advanced composition of the serum is effective in reducing skin discolouration, redness, and glycation-related skin yellowing, leaving the complexion smooth and radiant.
It also increases skin moisture and hydration and also decreases the production of unwanted pigment.
Price: AED 350.00 including tax
Daylight C Eneomey is an everyday skincare solution. It reduces hyperpigmentation and spots, homogenised skin complexion. It is a powerful antioxidant; it neutralises free radicals and plays a crucial role in treating skin ageing. In addition, it is effective in regulating melanin, increasing skin radiance, and preserving the skin of oxidation. The product is paraben-free and tested under dermatological control.
Price: AED 200.00 including tax
Janssen Cosmetics Stretch Mark Cream is a herbal cream for the effective care of stretch marks on the body. It reduces the appearance of stretch marks. The formulation contains special ingredients like – Siegesbeckia Orientalis, mango seed oil, plus vitamins C and E. It can be applied to all skin types and is safe to use during pregnancy and breastfeeding.